In recent posts, I already wrote about my experiences with Simon Brown’s software SDR Console V3.0. It matches most SDRs, delivers now up to 24 virtual receivers and is capable to run multi instances, i.e. you may run several SDRs on one PC in parallel.
That’s exactly what I did when I connected three SDRs FDM-S2 to a PC, running 35 different ARINC-635 channels in parallel resulting in 68.000 decoded messages. It worked brillantly.
And there is much more, e.g. recording and playing 24 audio channels from broadcasters throughout 20 MHz (the whole FM band!) with hardware RFHack One.
This paper provides a hands-on and step-by-step guide for some vital monitoring tasks like:
- using up to three receivers on one antenna and one PC
- working with multi instances of GUIs
- working with multi instances of software decoders like PC-HFDL and MultiPSK
- carefully planning a monitoring session
- analyzing the decoded results and apply some basic statistics on 68.000+ messages
- record and play 24 channels incl. RDS data within a bandwidth of 20 MHz on the FM broadcast band plus on HF with RFHack One (see screenshot on top of this page, “Matrix” mode)
- … and much more